HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:33:29 -0800
Robert Mills wrote:

> Greetings fellow listers,
>
> Am having a problem with Samba/iX 2.0.7 running under MPE/iX 6.5 (all
> reactive patches) in that it is passing a corrupted file to a PC running
> Windoze 95 and 98SE.

Do you have Samba patch SMBLXQ1A installed along with the latest network
transport patch NSTGD60A?

> Details are as follows:
>
> 1) File build on HP as 80 bytes fixed ascii.

You will have more reliable results with bytestream files.

> 2) File is loaded with character data (nearly all records contain trailing
> spaces).
> 3) File then moved (mv.hpbin.sys) from the MPE group to a Posix directory in
> that group.
> 4) Posix file read by Pc based application via Samba share.
>
> The above was done 3 (three) times. First file was OK. Second and third
> files were rejected by PC application.
>
> After a lot of different attempts to find a reason for this the following
> was discovered:
>
>   If the file was copied to the PC's C: (via Reflection File Transfer -
> ASCII mode) and compared via Windoze Explorer with the same file in the
> Samba share, the samba file was bigger!! For example, a 409KB file increased
> to 583KB and a 4,309KB file increased to 5,896KB.

> consisted of the entire 409KB file PLUS about 80 characters of garbage PLUS
> the first 480 characters of the 409KB file repeated 100's of times.
>
> Is the above problem caused by not converting the files to Byte Stream or is
> it a Samba bug?

Double-check that you have the patches I've mentioned.

It could be a bytestream emulator "feature" that affects both Samba and
Apache.  The bytesize of MPE fixed ASCII files reported via the POSIX API used
by Samba and Apache will always be greater than the number of bytes read by the
POSIX API due to the bytestream emulator removing trailing blanks.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...