HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:24:32 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of Shawn Gordon,

> > Also Perl, Pascal and Fortran (as well as numerous other languages
> > which are
> > not on the 3000).  COBOL and Business Basic projects are both underway
> > at GNU.
> >
> oh there are a zillion languages guile, scheme, camel, eifel, rebol,
> etc.,etc., but if you are trying to be in the main stream then you need
> to focus on what people are using (and yes I left Perl off by mistake,

you're forgiven :-)

> but I don't think i would build an application system in Perl).

your loss ;-).

> i've watched the Tiny COBOL project (if that is the one you are
> referring to),

It wasn't.  I was talking about GNU COBOL and Business Basic:

http://www.gnu.org/software/cobol/cobol.html
http://probasic.sourceforge.net/

>                but they've all been pretty stagnat whatever their
> current state is.  This is the main problem with fringe OSS projects,
> people loose interest and walk away and they never get finished.  if
> they are popular enough to have built critical mass, then they will
> typically be kept going.

Agreed.  In particular, COBOL seems a difficult one because in general, the
folks who want COBOL are not the same folks who get excited about writing
compilers.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
Euclid alone has looked on Beauty bare.
Let all who prate of Beauty hold their peace,
And lay them prone upon the earth and cease
To ponder on themselves, the while they stare
At nothing, intricately drawn nowhere
In shapes of shifting lineage; let geese
Gabble and hiss, but heroes seek release
From dusty bondage into luminous air.
O blinding hour, O holy, terrible day,
When first the shaft into his vision shone
Of light anatomized! Euclid alone
Has looked on Beauty bare. Fortunate they
Who, though once only and then but far away,
Have heard her massive sandal set on stone.
                        -- Millay, Edna St. Vincent (1892 - 1950)
         Deep thought to be found at http://www.southern.edu/~ashted