HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:02:57 -0800
> A new CEO makes no difference on our open source decision(s).
> I think it would be a worthwhile exercise for all those who
> favor open MPE source to honestly evaluate how that would
> directly benefit you.  I see some benefits and some big risks,
> but I'd like to read your views.

In the time-honored tradition of the lightning rod:

If "OpenMPE" means "MPE just like we have it today, except running on IA-64
hardware and developed and supported under the Linux model", then it is
 1) Impossible; existing resources can't do it, and sufficient resources
can't be provided
 2) A dumb idea even if it were possible, so it's just as well that it can't
be done

I'll go back to my standard mantra:
 Businesses don't buy computers
 Businesses don't buy operating systems
 Businesses don't buy databases
 Businesses buy SOLUTIONS!

What "problem" does the above-defined "OpenMPE" solve?
 "HP isn't going to make 3000s any more."  That isn't a business problem.
 "HP isn't going to support existing 3000s any more."  That isn't a business
problem.
 "MPE doesn't run on IA-64."  That isn't a business problem.
 "Tens of thousands of businesses have billions of dollars of data,
applications, procedures, training, knowledge, and equipment invested in
data systems that no longer have a growth path".

THAT'S a business problem. And the above-defined "OpenMPE" is a tremendously
expensive, inefficient and, by the way, impossible-to-achieve-anyway
solution to the problem.

What is needed to solve the problem?
 1) Businesses need to be able to continue to use their existing data,
either unmodified or transformed by a process that
    - is automatic
    - carries trivial or zero cost, other than machine time
    - maintains 100% of the explicit and implicit information contained in
the data
 2) Businesses need to be able to continue using existing applications,
either
    - the identical applications currently in use, or
    - replacements that provide identical interfaces and behaviors
 3) Businesses need to be able to continue using their "supporting cast"
elements: job streams, command files, utilities, system-related operating
procedures, etc.
 4) <your idea here>

Now: what does "OpenMPE" need to be/look like/do to solve the problem?