HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:31:52 -0500
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]> rebuts:

> Yes, I think it can.  HPUX (and other Unix flavors) have an installed base
> many times as large as MPE's ever was.  I don't think there will be
> wholesale migration to the flavor of the month for some time.  Don't
forget,
> just a few years ago if you had believed the trade press you would have
> expected that every business application would have migrated to NT by now.
> The pundits are always looking for the next great thing, and are equally
> eager to announce the demise of last week's darling.

However, in the (not-so) new HP way of looking at things, "open" is good and
"proprietary" is bad.  HP-UX is HP's "proprietary" Unix offering and may
very well be the next sacrifice to the gods of openness.  Why incur the
costs of developing an operating system when others are willing to do it for
you?

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

LONG LIVE MPE!