HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Chance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Chance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:20:58 -0800
"Un-describable sadness" --- yes.......I agree. Perhaps the
MPE communities-users could "let their voices be heard"
regarding such.......and hopefully triple the magnitude of
the days when HP wanted to "un-bundle Turbo-Image"??
Hmmmmmm.

Thank you for the insight. (yes it does seem that HP has
been killing MPE for several years)

--- Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Terry Simpkins wrote earlier this morning:
>
> =======================================
>
> > I try not to spread rumors but this one came to me from
> a usually
> >  reliable source.
> >
> >  He claims to have gotten it from two reliable sources
> that are totally
> >  unrelated, one inside HP and
> >  the other a large user.  (I know, "a friend of a
> friend.......)
> >
> >  Anyway the rumor is that Carly will announce next Wed
> (Nov 14), the
> >  discontinuance of the HP3000 line.
> >  Production to cease in 2002.
> >  Support to end in 2007.
> >  Anyone else hear this?  I am inclined to think NOT,
> since no one has
> >  posted anything about it yet, and this
> >  group is not known for sitting on things. =20
> >  I find this very hard to accept, and I really don't
> want to start a big
> >  hubbub (is that a word?), but like I said, the
> >  source is usually pretty reliable.  Of course he could
> be playing me for
> >  the biggest dupe of month.
>
> ======================================
>
> This afternoon I received the following from a person
> within CSY:
>
> =======================================
>
> Hi Wirt,
> Sending this to you because you are someone people trust
> and listen to. I
> don't want to send it to the list myself, seeing as the
> "official" public
> announcement will come Wednesday. I'd like to just remain
> "anonymous."
>
> At this very moment, I'm on a conference call with CSY
> and the rest of the
> HP3000 world internal to HP.
>
> The rumor is true, as well as the "confirmation" this
> morning by whoever that
> was that heard it from someone inside HP. Everyone seemed
> to shut him down
> because they don't know who he is. That's why I'm letting
> you know. If you
> were to say you heard it from inside HP, people will
> believe.
>
> 10/31/2003 - End of sales
> 12/31/2006 - End of support.
>
> In the meantime, there'll be full support, both software-
> and hardware-wise.
> A- and N-Class are the last incarnation of the HP3000.
> There will be discounts and promotions to transition to
> another HP platform -
> HP9000, NT, Linux, etc.
>
> There's a lot more information regarding the
> transitioning over the next few
> years.....they'll announce a website Wednesday also.
>
> =======================================
>
> If you're wondering how I feel, it's nothing less than
> undescribable sadness.
> This coming announcement represents the beginning of the
> end of our 26-year
> association with HP. There's nothing that HP does now
> that any further
> interests me. HP-UX will compete at the enterprise level
> [...]

=====
Practical Technology Solutions
Jim Chance
1031 Thomas Drive
Ashland, Ohio 44805
Voice: 419-651-6704
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"An independent/self-employed provider of premium and practical HPe3000 business system solutions. Services specializing in COBOL, Sqlplus, Oracle, Qedit, Suprtool, Powerhouse, Management, Operations, Database, & Analysis consultations." IT purveyor since 1985.