HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Andrew Russel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Russel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:12:22 +0000
Terry Simpkins wrote on 6th November...I try not to
spread rumors but this one came to me from a usually
reliable source.
He claims to have gotten it from two reliable sources
that are totally unrelated, one inside HP and the
other a large user.  (I know, “a friend of a
friend.......)
Anyway the rumor is that Carly will announce next Wed
(Nov 14), the discontinuance of the HP3000 line.
Production to cease in 2002.
Support to end in 2007.
Anyone else hear this?  I am inclined to think NOT,
since no one has posted anything about it yet, and
this group is not known for sitting on things.
I find this very hard to accept, and I really don’t
want to start a big hubbub (is that a word?), but like
I said, the source is usually pretty reliable.  Of
course he could be playing me for the biggest dupe of
month.
Any one care to comment?

However, I think that Shawn Gordon actually let this
cat out of the bag the previous day whilst attempting
some criticism of Alfredo's new webpage. On 5th
November, Shawn wrote...

This company isn't 3000 related at all, my original
company (S.M.Gordon & Associates www.smga3000.com) is
still around, but not terribly active, I need to get
the rest of my columns up there and update some stuff,
but based on some upcoming news that might be an
exercise in futility.

I think that last sentence suggests that Shawn knows
more about this that others. Care to comment Shawn???