HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:32:52 -0700
Ken Lucas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have personally worked with the 3000 since 1978, that's 23 years.
>
>While the 3000 has become a smaller and smaller part of our business, it is
>still turned today when somebody really really needs answers.  And I am not
>ready to just let it go.   I am thinking of all of us out there that rely on
>this awesome platform that only those of us who work with it regularly have
>a true appreciation for it.
>
>I would not be surprised that some entrepreneur out there will perceive this
>as an opportunity to build a new company to continue the support of the OS
>and associated products and systems.   And think of all the support
>companies affected by this.
>To list a few:
>
>         Adager, DBGeneral, Robelle, WRQ, Nobix, MiniSoft, 3-K, and others
>that I probably do not even know about.
>
>Can they be happy to here about this?    Don't give up hope.

I like your attitude: "Don't give up hope".

Naturally, hope is necessary but not sufficient.  In Guatemala (and
perhaps in other countries) there is a saying:

     "A Dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

(No, "mazo" has nothing to do with the Jewish dish, which is also
spelled as "matzo".  A Spanish "mazo" is a tool :-)

My mother is more than 90 years old has experienced a lot in her long
and productive life (the hp3000 is in its infancy, by comparison).
She has also gone through lots and lots of "con el mazo dando".
Those of you who have met her know that she is a tough lady.  She is
definitely NOT your average wimp.  Likewise, MPE/Image are not your
average OS and DBMS.  Things that are extraordinary require "mazos"
that are also extraordinary.

Con el mazo dando,  (well, actually not for the next couple of days,
because I will be pushing pedals on my mountain bike -- away from
"civilization"),

   _______________
  |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
  |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
  |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
  |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
  |    d          |  Adager Corporation
  |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.