HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:57:00 -0500
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I think this is going to upset a few of you:

Join the club :-)

<snip>

I've pondered over Richard's thoughts for at least 30 seconds and I had to
ask myself some hard questions:

Why do I want to continue using the HP3000?

Is it because of the comfort factor?  (That is, I know it and am comfortable
using it)  I must admit that this is one of the reasons, as much as I would
like to deny it.  It's always easier to do what you know than to learn
something new.

Is it because of some perceived or actual superiority?  I'd like to believe
that there is some actual superiority to the HP3000 hardware and software;
however, I have only anecdotal evidence to support this.  I know I have had
problems with the HP3000 in the past, but like a lot of things in life, we
tend to forget the bad times and remember the good times.  I know we had an
inventory system running on a NetWare server (using FoxBASE) and we had
nothing but trouble with it.  Since we converted over to running it on the
HP3000 (using Image) we haven't had any errors anywhere near the magnitude
of what we had before (the NW server would crash, taking all the data with
it, forcing us to do a complete physical inventory, sometimes three or four
in one day).

Is it because of inertia? (That is, this is the way we've always done it)
Well, when I got here they already had the HP3000 in place.  Have I
seriously looked at alternatives?  Not really.  I guess this may be a reason
also.  It's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" syndrome.

Is it because I'm an old fogey and you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
This one I would like to disbelieve.  After all, I've learned to set up
Samba and Apache.  We're using ODBC.  We developed (and maintain) a large VB
shop floor application.  We're using RF bar code scanners in the warehouse.
Not leading/bleeding edge, but new enough to keep us competitive.

So, to ease donna's mind, if worse comes to worse (and it doesn't get much
worse than this) and we have to replace the HP3000 with something else, I'll
become a pseudo-expert (that is, I'll learn enough to get the job done and
be dangerous) in it as well.  It's just going to be one hell of an expensive
proposition for us to recreate entire systems in whatever we end up using.
We have only one canned application and that's the accounting package that
runs on NT and requires a faster, bigger server every time we upgrade, not
to mention conversion costs from one version to the next.  I guess that's
another real superiority to the HP3000:  We've added a lot of functionality
to our home-grown systems and not had to upgrade the system for over four
years, whilst the NT server has been upgraded twice to support the
accounting package.

> I'm sure a lot will disagree, I'll put my fireproof pants on.

Want to borrow mine?  :-)

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

LONG LIVE MPE!  OpenMPE where are you?