HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Chris Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 03:45:48 -0600
This (abridged) article appeared in The Guardian, an influential news
paper, on Nov.9th.
"Packard scion resists Compaq deal".
David Packard, son of one of the founders, rejected the proposed $21.4bn
merger with Compaq... David, whose family and foundations owns 10% of
the equity, joined forces with the Hewlett family, which has 5%, to
oppose a deal already floundering in the wake of the crisis in the
American technology sector.
Dave .... reportedly denounced the Compaq deal because its rationale was
at least 15000 redundancies when for 50 years the company's goal had
been to provide long term, employment.
He told the Wall Street Journal Online that he had spoken to Walter
Hewlett .... ands supported his decision to oppose the deal....
He said that he could not speak for the David and Lucile Packard
Foundation or his sister Susan Packard Orr who owns the rest of the
family equity and could not say how they would vote.
The founding families opposition further undermines the position of
Ms.Fiorina, one of America's leading CE's, who announced the merger,
then worth $25bn, in early September only to see the fall in technology
shares sharply reduce the value.
Analysts said that if the combined families block of 15% of the shares
voted against the deal Ms Fiorina's days as CE would be numbered. She
has angered investors with poor sales and profits and a series of
botched take-over attempts.
The eight board members, apart from Walter Hewitt came out strongly in
favour of the merger which they backed "enthusiastically" and of Ms.
Fiorina whose leadership they "unequivocally support".
The Compaq board has also voted to pursue the transaction.

Although some of this is not new I think that will be of interest to
the list.

Chris Thompson
The Internet Agency
European Distributors of ANSI - ADBC, Web/iX, and MPE/iX e-Client
Distributors for CCS TRAX Cobol
www.the-internet-agency.com

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Wirt Atmar
<[log in to unmask]> writes