HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:30:54 -0600
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If you search for AF_MAX you'll see that it's a number higher than all the
> address family/protocol family constants.  The only reasonable use I can
> think of this is as a tag for something that could be a socket address or
> could be some kind of private object.  If so, any number that's not in
> socket.h should be okay, so you can probably define
> #define AF_MAX 3

Sorry to barge in. But I think declaring AF_MAX to just 3 might not be
that good. If you look into the header, there are many other protocols
that uses number smaller than AF_MAX. I have no idea what the user
program is about, but within the kernel of BSD and Linux, AF_MAX is
sometimes inside a loop to look for the correct protocol to work on.

To the best of my knowledge, it is 32 in both BSD and Linux.

Then again, I have no idea how many protocols are implemented in MPE.

:-P