HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 06:42:18 -0800
Mike Hornsby writes:

> by
> Lisa DiCarlo, Forbes
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/08/1108hpcpq.html

Old news. Nothing of substance here.

BTW - my personal opinion on this is that the merger
is good and required. Here is my thinking:

* The mid-range server market is going to be commiditized
  with the availability of ia-64. Once McKinley ramps in
  first of 2002 you will have mid-range systems being
  sold from dell/compaq/hp that compete with what we
  have been accustomed to only coming from one particular
  vendor and costing big-bucks.

* With a commodity mid-range server market the name of the
  game is volume. Compaq and HP have realized they alone
  won't have the volume to make a go of it. Combined they
  will have enough unit-volume. Others will be forced out.

* We are nearing the mid-point of a long sustained plan that
  HP/Intel put in place back in 1994. For HP, it was to unseat
  Sun and for Intel, it was to get into the datacenter in a
  big way. Along the way Dell has risen in the Intel server
  market and is now also a target of HP/Compaq.

If you don't believe me, then I offer the following:

Both from Dell (poweredge) and HP (netserver):

4-way ia-64, 800mhz, 4gb memory, 36gb hot swappable disk,
mirrored to 36gb disk, split backplane, cd-rom, floppy, etc.
Linux/64 pre-installed or no-O/S: ~ $50,000

For fun, try asking your HP reseller what a 2-way N4000-440
MPE system will cost you (~300,000). Sorry, you might like
MPE as much as I do, but do you believe its worth the price
difference? Even if you do, would your boss? How about the
CFO who signs the checks?

Yes folks, we have a major shift in market dynamics for the
mid-range server market. You might not like it, but its going
to happen regardless.

Duane Percox