HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:11:54 -0500
Stan Sieler wrote:

> Re:
>
> > they [HP] haven't valued a customer for years :(
>
> Sorry...I forgot to add the (obvious to 3000-L readers) disclaimer:
>   (except for CSY)

This hits a sore spot. The "new" HP sales model does not work. It's
no wonder HP is falling.  There simply is no sales effort.  HP products
are good, but they don't sell themselves.

I get cold calls from computer suppliers all the time.  I get calls
from 3rd party suppliers and I get calls from Dell, Compaq, IBM. Dell,
Sun, and Cisco come visit us. Compaq wants to visit, but I keep putting
them off.  Today I got a call from IBM and they lady was very nice and
helpful. I also do business regularly with a variety of computer
suppliers.

The only calls I get from HP are the ones where I'm paying someone
to call me (RC, PSS acct rep, contract processing).  We have an
HP 3000 and HP 9000, both on HP leases (running out next year) and
with HP support contracts, and we buy from HP 's online store.

I would have had an opportunity to buy HP Netservers, but Dell's
pricing, contract work with the State of Tennessee and UT, and
consistently good support don't leave me with any reason for me to
go out of my way to buy from a company that isn't interested in
selling to my business.

BTW, UTC also buys a lot of PCs (and MACs), but I'm not directly
involved in that.  We do buy Dell PCs most of the time.

I have to acknowledge our HP account SE, our local CE, and our
contract processing persons are all excellent.  The contract people
are the best since the CE's stopped doing it.  These people are
wonderful and they even try to help sale products.  However, so far
as I can tell, there is no HP sales.

I know HP/CSY "outsourced" sales for HP 3000 (and they have done
well at it), but UTC buys a broad spectrum of computer products and
I'm involved in many of them.  I don't see visible HP selling in *any*
of them.

HP makes some very competitive network equipment - how many of you
know that?  We're to the point of making larger investments in
networking than in systems and servers, but I don't hear from HP
about buying network gear.

If the direct sales model is so out of whack with the times, why
do the other large vendors do (more or less) cold calls?  Even
online stores have people calling me.

Reflecting on this makes me wonder if merging with Compaq might
be a good idea for HP after all.  At least Compaq trys to sell.

Richard

> Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
> www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler

Richard L Gambrell, Senior Information Technology Consultant and
Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Fax: 423-755-4150                Support Help-Desk: 423-755-4000
Direct phone: 423-755-5316       ITD Business Office: 423-757-1755
Mobile (urgent): 423-432-5122    Main UTC: 423-755-4111
Email: [log in to unmask]