HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:16:55 EST
Lane writes:

> While moving MPE is very desirable I realistically don't think that HP
>  would be willing to put the MPE source in the public domain. They talk a
>  good talk, but I've seen very little source become available. How many
>  discontinued products has HP open sourced?

Gangster movies seem to be all the rage as far as quotable lines in this
situation. In this case, it may be necessary to "make them an offer they
can't refuse." The choice may boil down to either having to fend off large
and massive class-action lawsuits or actively aid an open-source movement for
MPE, signing over the licenses to all of the software for a dollar.

The anger is there to certainly justify the class-action lawsuits.

It would be in HP's best long-term interests to actively and honestly support
an open-source movement for MPE.

Wirt Atmar