HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:21:14 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of Paul D. Christensen,
> So let's say HP was willing to sell MPE.  Since they figure it has no value,
> they should be willing to sell it for a $1 or $2 right?   (I'm sure it will
> suddenly become valuable, if it would be sold).

Little chance of that.  (unquestionably).

> But splain something to me - me not understanding hardware.  Isn't an HP3000
> just a crippled HP9000?

Or, to put it differently, an improved 9000 ;-).

>                         Or plus/minus a chip away from an HP9000?  So there'd
> be no problem getting hardware right?

Until they stop making the PA-RISC chip because the 9000 no longer depends on
it.  If MPE hasn't made it onto other hardware by the, it's a more serious
matter.

> But now for the big question - again I'm ignorant on this thing... Can MPE
> stand on it's own?  I mean would the revenue from software sales and
> maintenance contracts  be enough to support a company?   Or are operating
> systems simply a loss-leader for hardware sales?

I'm afraid that that is a subject on which we do not have the information.
There are opinions on both sides.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]) | From the Tom Swifty collection:
Southern Adventist University    | "I think it's time I had a perm", said Tom