HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:23:24 -0500
Charles Finley wrote:

> Richard Gambrell wrote:
> >
> > After the HP announcement this coming Wednesday, any colleges
> > and universities interested in working together to design and
> > implement a high quality, Internet/Web inspired customizable, modular,
> > Academic Information System for Higher Education, please contact me.
> > If there is sufficient interest and support, we'll put together a
> > mailing list and start planning.
> >
> I believe that IRIS from Software Research Northwest http://www.srn.com/
> already runs on a number of different UNIX platforms as well as MPE.  It has
> been Web enabled for years.

Thanks. I am aware of SRN and IRIS and have admired the web interface
and it's apparent customizability.  I appreciate the reference.

UTC has a good many custom applications. Some could use to be replaced,
but some are very popular and we would want to preserve using them
in some reasonable fashion.  There are a good many in the middle some
where, but that could use to be rewritten.

My message to HP3000-l was intended to find what level of interest
there is in co-developing academic information systems and the
general interest in customized development.  I plan to use this
information to help UTC plan the future of it's applications.

We've been burned already by a failed attempt to migrate to SCT Banner
and are (were) more or less comfortable continuing with custom development on
the 3000.

Richard

--
Richard L Gambrell, Senior Information Technology Consultant and
Director of Computing Systems and Networks