HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:34:11 -0800
Tom Renz wrote super-huge lines without any wrap that said:
> I would like to use Sendmail.  It is configured (basic) and have been able
> to send email notes to external addresses and internal address but not using
> the same server.
>
> For the example; I attempt to send an email note to two different addresses,
> one is "[log in to unmask]" and the second to
> "[log in to unmask]" and using one dns server.  On this run the
> outside email message is successful and the inside message gets a basic
> error of "550 -.... unknown user".  I then redo the process using the same
> email addresses but go to a second dns server.  This time the second email
> goes through and the first is unsuccessful with the same error.
>
> Is there a setting I can set that will enable sendmail to go to one server
> and if that fails to resolve the email address go to the second one that
> will?  Is this a "relay" type of setting?  Can you provide a snippit of the
> configuration that I can use to send the email and the file to modify?

In order to understand what's going on, please make sure you are running syslog
and then re-run both test cases and post the resulting syslog output either
back to HP3000-L or to me privately.

"unknown user" implies you were successfully able to call DNS to lookup the
remote hosts, and that it was the remote host that said "unknown user".  Your
syslog logs will show which remote hostname actually said that.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...