HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:00:48 -0500
Jim Phillips wrote:

> "Jeff Kell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > If it was this trivial, when you did a Network Neighborhood of
> > "Entire Network" you would get every Windows/Samba/etc server on the
> > Internet :-)
>
> Um, not really, since our LAN/WAN is private, how could I see every
> server on the Internet?

Missed the private LAN part, mea culpa.

> > In many cases you can work around this with a WINS server, but not
> > all.

> Never used WINS, don't understand why I need it now.  In my
> experience, on Win 9x machines, I have been able to see every
> workgroup every where on our LAN/WAN, regardless of subnet or domain
> (we do have some NT computers), at least after clicking on Entire
> Network.  I have found that some NT machines do not show some remote
> workgroups.

NetBIOS works using TCP/UDP.  Machines on the same subnet can find each
other using NetBIOS broadcasts.  But to "glue" subnets together, there's
a plethora of issues - domain controllers, master browsers, and some
assistance from WINS.  But to just connect to the share, you need name
resolution for NetBIOS so you can get the IP from the name.  It will try
NetBEUI broadcast (it's layer 2, so won't work across subnets unless you
bridge it), a NetBIOS broadcast (ditto, the name resolution has to be
either forwarded by a "helper address" or bridged at the router), a DNS
lookup (if you configure it that way, and the share name matches the DNS
name), and WINS.  WINS tries to learn about server names from listening
to the mess above and "remembering" it.

> However, thanks for the tip
> about using the IP address.  That works!

Y'er welcome :-)

Jeff