HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Dave Waroff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Waroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:50:09 -0800
The most complete description I know of is in
"Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment"
by W. Richard Stevens (Addison-Wesley), chapter
8 section 10, "Changing User IDs and Group IDs".

Lots of good info for Posix can be found at
the Linux Documentation Project:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/
in the man pages, or at
http://www.bsdi.com/bsdi-man/ or
http://www.rt.com/man/

If you are unfamiliar with Posix, the gid is
an integer that identifies a group of users,
i.e., payroll, accounting, programming, etc; it
is not related to MPE x.GROUP.ACCOUNT. (I believe
setgid() under MPE is implimented as "return(0)").
If you are familiar with Posix, please don't read
this paragraph.