HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 1

From:
Reid Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reid Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:46:02 -0600
"Michael poyser" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Iam very new to reflections and hoping that someone could please point
> me in the right direction Of where the best place to find information
> about scripts and macros for reflections v7.0.
>
> At the moment we preform alot of long winded tasks and have written
> simple vb macros to simplify these operations. Would like to know just
> how much more you can do with them.

In addition to the great information that Joe Silagi provided in another
message I'll add a couple of other tips:

Since you are using Reflection 7.0, you have VBA 5.  There are many books
available on programming in VBA, but most of them cover VBA 6, which ships
with Reflection 8.0 and 9.0.  You might be better off getting a VBA 5 book.
Also, you may want to avoid books that are tailored to Microsoft Word and
Microsoft Excel, unless you're planning to do customization of those
applications also.   Although they're using the same VBA that Reflection
does, you may not be so interested in the details of the Office application
APIs.

I've heard this VBA 5 book is pretty good:
    Teach Yourself Visual Basic for Applications 5 in 21 Days, Third Edition

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672310163/qid=1004737782/sr=1-10/ref
=sr_1_10_10/103-4714422-5382242
There are many good books on Visual Basic, but I'd suggest a VBA book unless
you are going to purchase VB and use that instead.

I'll reiterate what Joe said about the macro recorder.  I always use the
recorder even if I know I want a more sophisticated script than the recorder
can generate.  It nearly always does a better job than even an experienced
VBA programmer can do.

Best of luck!

-Reid
WRQ, Inc