UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Susan Cardwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Cardwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:32:48 -0500
Dear Colleagues,
          Please join the discussion of the Mission Statement draft and
guiding principles statements
below - this afternoon at 3:30 in the Raccoon Mountain Room of the
University Center:

DRAFT Mission Statement:

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga will be a national model of an
engaged metropolitan university whose faculty, staff, and students, in
collaboration with external partners, employ the
intellectual resources of the liberal arts and professional programs to
enrich the lives of those we serve.

DRAFT Guiding Principles:

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga defines its land-grant mission
by these guiding principles:

People
  We believe educating and developing students to their full potential in
preparation for life in a global
society is our primary reason for existing.

We challenge our students to learn the art of living as well as the art of
making a living.

We promote and celebrate the diversity of people and ideas.

We believe in reasonable and affordable access to higher education.

Partnerships
We embrace active and collaborative learning through partnerships among
students, faculty, staff and the community.

We encourage frequent, respectful, and collegial interaction among
students, faculty, staff and the community.

We develop partnerships that strengthen the university and the community.

We provide opportunities for our students to augment intellectual
development through participation
in artistic, cultural, social and athletic activities.

Performance
We use the inter-connected activities of teaching, research, and service to
promote learning,
problem-solving, and innovation.

We use technology to enhance teaching, research, and operations and
community outreach.

We empower our students and our community by applying knowledge to the
challenges of a
changing society.

please make plans to join in the discussion
thanks