SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2001

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:15:24 +0800
John wrote:

>          Even at 3 megapixels, digital cameras don't come close to analog,

I must disagree with this. While I haven't taken my CoolPix 990 underwater,
I use it extensively (almost exclusively these days) topside. I send the
memory card to a pro lab for printing. Off a dye-sublimation printer, there
isn't the slightest difference between the analog pictures I take and the
digital ones. Yes, if you want to blow up the shot to more than A3 size,
then analog rules, but how often do you do that ? :-)

> video lights.  Now we have a situation in which you have to haul video
> lights on every dive trip which makes quite a load with  battery packs, a
> recharger, (ballasts for some), arms, a tray, a housing for the camera,

I agree. A proper video system is no less bulky than a housed SLR. But it is
easier to assemble and maintain!

In fact, this debate offers me the perfect opening for a sales pitch:

I have decided to take the plunge and go 100% digital underwater and
topside. I intend to buy the Fuji FinePix pro SLR, so I can use all my Nikon
lenses. To partially finance it (it's a bloody expensive baby), I intend to
sell ALL my other camera equipment. So if anyone is interested, I have the
following for sale:

Nikon N70 with Ikelite housing, Ikelite SS-200 and SS-50 strobe, TTL sensor,
and ports for the 24-50, the 60mm micro and the 105mm micro. Includes
24-50mm Nikkor lens.

Nikon CoolPix 990 with wide angle and tele converters, flash bracket and
connector, and three flash cards (2x64MB, 1x32MB)

Nikon N90 with MB-28 Grip.

Nikonos 5 with 28mm UW lens

All cameras and equipment are in fine working condition, recently serviced
or will be before delivery. If anyone is interested, let me know off-line.

Bjorn