SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:36:32 -0500
Ed wrote:

> I was also trying a new regulator, Aqualung Micra ADJ.

I used a non adjustable Micra before my present Scuba Pro regulator.  I
never had a complaint except perhaps that the cracking pressure tuning was
very sensitive, making it difficult to find just the right point between
freeflow and breathing like a truck.  I suspect that has something to do
with why they came out with the adjustable version.  My wife still uses her
Micra and I still have mine.

> Some of the divers claimed it was as much as 75 feet, but they are prone
> exaggeration.

Remarkable visibility according to past reports I've seen.  Glad you were
there to experience it.

> It was the first time I'd been 'solo' on a night dive. What a trip, the
> bio-luminescence was unbelievable.

I have to say that my favorite way to do a night dive is as a SOB to a real
buddy pair.  This lets me wander, find things for the three of us to marvel
over and, of course, play in the bioluminesence.  It's one of life's most
peaceful experiences.  Several members of this list and, sadly, one former
member, did a night dive off Cozumel where we were all more or less SOBs.
Very memorable dive.

> On the way back I decided to swim back at 15fsw, using the compass. I
discovered
> that this isn't that easy, I really sucked at it. My compass is attached
to a
> retractable cord, my computer (depth gauge) was on my left wrist. So I was
juggling
> the compass, dive light, and checking my depth in the dark was very task
intensive . . .

Sounds like an advertisement for a console, no matter what the DIR faction
says.  I find that having my compass and one of my computers on the same
side of my console makes navigation, day or night, a lot easier.  I have a
wrist mount that I use as my primary computer on my deeper dives and for
most multi dive, multi day trips (except when I'm lobstering), but the
console goes on all dives.

> On the last dive I was using a friends UK Light Cannon
> (HID), it was one damn bright light. I was impressed,
> but not enough to pony up the $200 to buy one.
> Done with my rambling for now.

$200 is a lot cheaper than the Extreme Exposure canister HID light.  One of
my buddies went to the Light Cannon because he had quality problems with his
EE light and I heard from a UK diver in the last couple of days also
suggesting that the EE version has problems.   Your post reminds me that I
want to forward the complaints to EE.  They can't do better if nobody tells
them about the problem.  I like a hand held light better than a canister
light.  I'm considering a Light Cannon, but only after ensuring that it's
not too much light for the diving I do and researching the possibility of
putting a Goodman handle on one.

Lee