HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Ben Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:05:51 -0400
<< Mark Wonsil ([log in to unmask]), consultant to FAX/3000 customer
Rofin-Sinar writes in the HP3000-L digest >>

Both FAX/3000 and 3rd party printing solutions (in this case Minisoft's
NetPrint) scan the output queue looking for items to process.  We have
situations where there is a race condition and the document gets faxed
instead of printed.  I can configure NetPrint to avoid printing documents
on a certain priority, by user, by device, etc. but I cannot find how to
keep
a document from faxing in Fax/3000.  There doesn't seem to be any thing I
can find in the manual, on STR's website (FAQs) or in Usenet (including this
group).  I am sure others have run into this before.  Any thoughts?

Mark,

You have raised a very interesting question that can be best resovled
depending upon the version of FAX/3000 being used.

For versions prior to and including 4.6, FAX/3000 supports two device class
names (or logical device numbers).  In early days, we suggested customers
create unique names such as FAX3000 and FAX3000H and assign them to any
existing spooled printer.  Then entering a file equation such as the
following would all that be necessary to submit a document:

:FILE fileref;DEV=FAX3000,1;CCTL

The values for these two class names or numbers are configured in FAX/3000
using the SET command of FAXMGR.  (See chapter 5, SET command of FAXMGR in
Reference Guide.)  You may further restrict entries from these class names
by creating a file with the name of the device in the DEVCLASS group of the
STR account.  For example, the default value for the spooled class name is
LP because every MPE system must have at least one spooled printer named LP.
The file named LP.DEVCLASS.STR contains those formal file designators that
FAX/3000 should intercept.  The default values are FAX, FAX3000, SUBMTFAX,
and FAXPC.  Then you need only add entries into the file named
LP.DEVCLASS.STR.  Sound confusing?  If so, we have made it easier.

In version 4.7, we simplified the process and created an ASCII configuration
file named FAXSPOOL.FAX3000.STR.  Entries in this file specify any
combination of five parameters that include formal file designator, spool
file priority, logical device number or spooled class name, owner
(user.account), and jobsession name.  This columnar table is much easier to
specify an unlimited number of combinations for valid spool files.

All customers were shipped version 4.6 in February 1998.  Version 4.7 was
shipped as early as April 1999 to any customer who purchased new options or
desired its many new features.

Please contact our support department ([log in to unmask]) if you need
further assistance or changes to your version of FAX/3000.

Sincerely,

Ben

Ben Bruno * STR SOFTWARE * President

11505 Allecingie Parkway * Richmond, Virginia  23235
P: 804.897.1600 x100 * F: 804.897.1638
E: [log in to unmask]

Come visit us on the World Wide Web: http://www.strsoftware.com