HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:42:45 -0700
Greg,

I too have the LinkSys BEFSR41 router. I can't see how it would filter by URL or domain or IP - only by port number. If you have luck with it, please post!

So far just using the hosts file is a vast improvement. It doesn't work for ads served up by the same server I'm browsing (ie. Yahoo), but it does prevent a lot of pesky banner ads.  I especially value blocking those rapidly animated ones that are becoming popular.

As far as the banner/popup blocking softwareI am very leery about installing any new software - it's so difficult to keep my Windows environment stable.

As far as the Restricted Sites feature, that sounds like a good approach, except I've given up on IE. IE upgrades seem to be a source of instability in my systems.  (Ha! Win/? seems to be a major source of.........)

As soon as I get my important files off the hard drive, I'm going to re-configure my AMD K6-2/300 machine (Win/98 will only start in Safe Mode now, even with re-install onto the existing file structure) for either NT 4.0- or Linux - leaning toward Linux, but the budget is tight right now.

I bought a Pentium-1 for $12 at Salvation Army, reloaded Win/95. Some difficulty configuring both dial-up PPP RAS and my broadband connection at the same time, but at least have dial-in for the moment. Oops, don't load Netscape 6.1 with only 16M ram! Received 64M SIMM - now, why didn't I remember you have to install SIMMs in pairs?

My favourite browser so far would be one of the more recent Netscape 4.x versions. Will try the others when I start experimenting with Linux.

Thanks,

Dave