HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
KENT WALLACE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KENT WALLACE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:26:23 -0600
We just bought a DLT7000 about 3400$ US, not the latest technology but it cut our backup time in half(from the hicompression DDS3) and no longer required 2 tapes.  The vendor threw in the 200$ adapter card.  The other surprise cost was buying 22 DLT tapes was 2800$.  Two cleaning tapes at 45$ each.

The a cost effective device that worked well and freed up a lot of processing time.

Kent Wallace
Boise, ID

>>> Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]> 10/26/01 04:05PM >>>
I currently have a DDS3 tape drive, that fails once or twice a week. With 82GB file system, 65% Free space. Doing a full backup every day the tape backup runs for more than 400 minutes every day. So it takes too much time, and it is not reliable.

My question: Are the following statements correct?

'Running any tape drive for more than 400 minutes is not going to be very reliable. Solution, purchase a DLT 7000 Tape Drive. This will most likely solve both problems. The DLT-7000 can write about 1GB every two minutes, at a 2:1 compression ratio. With a 30GB - 40GB file system that comes to less than 20GB on tape, or less than 10GB at a 4:1 Compression Ratio. This would bring the duration of the backup to less than 40 - 20 minutes. The DLT-7000 is the recommended (Best bang for your buck) device when backing up 20GB to 70GB of data, daily. '

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District