HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:18:29 -0600
I just got off the phone with HP Software Support and they sent me the
instructions below.

Note: I am in the Eastern Time zone, so your :setclock timezone may be
different.

I was told to ONLY run the following:
1. showclks.pubxl.telesup
2. setclock timezone=w5:00
3. setclock;cancel
4. setclock date=mm/dd/yyyy;time=hh;mm;now
5. showclks.pubxl.telesup

Good Luck!

PROBLEM
In the Eastern time zone, how do I correctly set the system clocks
on my HP3000?
RESOLUTION
HP3000 Clock Setting. Eastern Time Zone.

You must be logged on as MANAGER.SYS to issue these commands.

----------------------------------
View current clock settings:

:showclks.pubxl.telesup
----------------------------------
Initial clock setting:

Issue the following three commands with the system quiet. No other jobs or
sessions should be logged on or scheduled.

:setclock timezone=w5:00
or
:setclock timezone=w4:00

Note: 5 hours is the GMT offset for Eastern time during
standard time. 4 hours the the GMT offset for Eastern time during daylight
savings time.

:setclock;cancel

:setclock date=mm/dd/yyyy;time=hh:mm;now (24 hour clock)

----------------------------------

TZ variable setting:

There are some software packages that display the time based on the value
of
the TZ variable. If you have applications that use this variable, it would
be
best to include the following command in a system level logon UDC.

setvar TZ "EST5EDT"

Note: This variable never changes regardless of standard
time or daylight savings time.

-----------------------------------

Spring and fall time changes:

When we "spring ahead" to daylight savings time in the spring, the only
command
that you will need to execute follows below. The clock will then spring
ahead
one hour instantly.

:setclock timezone=w4:00

When we "fall back" to standard time in the fall, the only command that
you
will need to execute follows below. The clock will go into gradual
correction
mode and be updated automatically. This gradual correction takes two hours
complete. If you wish the change to take effect immediately, issue all of
the
commands from the initial clock setting portion of this document.

:setclock timezone=w5:00

------------------------------------

Check your work:

:showclks.pubxl.telesup

----------

Fellow MPE/iX folk,

I discovered something odd on my 959/400.  I was preparing for the twice
yearly ritual of changing the TZ offset that occurs this weekend,  I
entered
the SHOWCLOCK command and it returned this:

:showclock

SYSTEM TIME: THU, OCT 25, 2001,  2:30:39 PM
CURRENT TIME CORRECTION:            0 SECONDS
TIME ZONE:    0 HOURS  0 MINUTES WESTERN HEMISPHERE

As you can see I have no offset.  An offset of 0 might be fine if I were
somewhere along the Prime Meridian, but living in the Central Time Zone in
the middle of the U. S. A., this seems like a bad thing!  The only thing I
can think of is that when I installed 6.0 pp2 this summer, the clock got
"whacked" some way.  I saw nothing in the Communicator  or the Software
Maintenance Manual about clock "whacking" and don't remember anybody
saying
anything about possible gotchas with the system clock and the offset from
GMT.

My question is:  Will I have to go to ISL> and run CLKUTIL, or does anyone
see a more simplified way to fix this issue.  Probably checking the H/W
clock via CLKUTIL is not such a bad idea anyway.  So what I am thinking is
this:

Get the system to ISL> and run CLKUTIL.  Set GMT if it is off

Boot, then run SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W5:00  That should get me back to where I
should be

Then I can return to CST from DST by issuing the SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W6:00
on
Sunday Morning.

BTW, the TZ variable is as I think it should be:  CST6CDT.

I can't believe I didn't enter the SHOWCLOCK command even once since the
6.0
update.  It seems that the SHOWTIME command is sufficient most of the
time.
Thanks as always for the quality help and input.

Joe Faulkner
System Manager
Lowrance Electronics

Posted from www.3kworld.com