HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 4

From:
Matt Shade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Shade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:16:27 -0400
A couple months ago, I was helping the network and WTEC team duplicate a problem discovered with NETBASE 10.0 and MPE/iX 7.0. During the testing, I'd installed netbase on my 6.5 machine. The problem was not seen in my environment, so I later went to remove netbase. Of course I had no instructions (Quest sent us the tape, but with no removal instructions), but I'd worked with netbase before and thought I could just wing it.
Now, 10.0 moves from the NBINST commands to the new AUTOINST (which already starts confusing me since I do so many MPE OS updates), but I thought I'd de-installed it, and went about removing the NETBASE account. Thereafter I started getting those NBWARN 21 messages which I knew comes from parts of netbase still being active, but the de-installation was done improperly. So I put the account back on and the messages went away. During this time, I was very busy with other things, so this whole process actually lasted a couple weeks, therefore I may not have the exact sequence of events correct....

One day I noticed I couldn't connect to my SAMBA shares. Starting the SAMBA job would just go to :eof with no error messages anywhere.  Thinking it was something I'd done when I patched my machine (testing Mark's PATCHMAN, which is cool, by the way), I assumed it was a SAMBA problem (permissions, directories, etc). Then Sunday, I did a
    :VERSION SMBD207.SAMBA.SYS
and there was NB1.NETBASE.SYS in the Library Search Path. So I did an
    :AUTOINST.PUB.NETBASE;INFO="REMOVE"  <-- I coulda sworn I'd done that before  :)
and then SAMBA was happily working again, however NB1.NETBASE.SYS is still in the library search path.

Anyone have some good insight for that, or how to successfully remove Netbase with no traces left? I cut and paste all the stuff I did Sunday so I could go back and work on figuring it out, but that's at work and I won't be in til Sat. And the recent PERL problem someone had with the upshifting library names reminded me of it.

matt shade
www.threekay.com