HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:04:08 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Wirt Atmar ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>  : MORE PLANETS EMERGE WITH SOLAR SYSTEM-LIKE ORBITS
>  : For most of their discoveries, the astronomers have used the ...
>  : Lick three-meter in Santa Cruz, Calif.;
>
>  This is not accurate.  Lick is not in Santa Cruz even though it is operated
>  by UCSC.  It is on the opposite edge of Santa Clara County, on Mt Hamilton.

Actually, Wirt Atmar didn't write that. Wirt Atmar merely cut and paste the
text from a NASA announcement. But it is also true that Wirt Atmar didn't
know precisely where the Lick Observatory was before Dennis' note, not having
ever been there.

However, Wirt Atmar does happen to know something about the Lick Observatory
that most people find very creepy when they first visit: The large central
telescope, a 36-in affair, is mounted on a single-pier equatorial mount, and
the benefactor of the Lick Observatory, James Lick, is buried in the center
of that pier. The observatory and the placement of his final resting place
were all part of the specifications of his last will and testament.

Perhaps we should arrange a field trip to the Observatory some evening in a
couple of weeks, perhaps at the end of the month.

Wirt Atmar