HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:39:55 -0700
We have an old, forgotten 927 that I am trying to resurrect as our
crash-and-burn platform and for general playing around.  It had a dead disc
drive, but that was no problem, because have several old, retired clunkers
on the shelf.  I replaced the bad drive (which was in the system volume
set), did an install, and am now trying to use VOLUTIL to rebuild the volume
set.

The problem is that this drive was formerly a member of a mirrored volume
set that had the same volume set name as a volume set on this machine.  The
status shown by DSTAT is "PENDING-MD", and the following message is being
sent to the console periodically: "MIRRORED PARTNER MISSING FOR LDEV #4".  I
did a VSCLOSE on the volume set (this isn't really a member of that set, but
has the same volume set name).  All of the "real" members of that set are
now in a "loner" state, while the "new" disc is still in the "PENDING-MD"
state.  Volutil will not allow me to do a SCRATCHVOL on this device, because
it's not a loner.  We do not have Mirrored Disc/iX on this machine.  It is
on MPE/iX release 6.0.  Any suggestions?