HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:16:50 -0500
Is there a specific reason the NA wants the IP addresses changed?  Did (s)he
just get up one morning and say, "I think I shall want to change all
addresses, just for fun."

I say this because it's important in deciding which addresses to use.  If
your network has a DHCP server, the scope will be changed and you should
know what the range of the scope is.  Then you will want to check the WINS
or DNS or whatever mechanism is used to keep track of the leases.  Your HP
3000 should have a nailed, or permanent IP address.  This address should
then be placed in the WINS or DNS or hosts files if that is what you use.

Even if none of the above applies for your site, you should still find out
from the NA what the ranges are and which address you should use.  The NA
should tell you which address and which subnet mask to use.  He should also
supply you with gateway and DNS information.

Once armed with this information, zip on over to the 3000, log in as
manager.sys and fire up NMMGR.PUB.SYS.  Open the file displayed and then hit
F2  (NS).  Hit F1 (guided).  Hit F5 (List networks) and record the name of
the NI (Network Interface) you want to use.  It might be LAN or LAN1.  Hit
F8, prior screen and then enter the recorded name in the NI box.  Enter 1 in
network type and hit F1.  Voila!

Update the address and the subnet mask if need.  Hit F6 (Save Data).  Then
hit F8 until you get to #2 MAIN.  Hit F5 (Utility) then F3 (Go to Validate).
Hit F1 (Validate NETXPORT) and the configuration will be validated.  F8 to
exit all the way out.

Caution, I believe the change takes effect immediately.  I could be wrong,
because I don't do this often, but there are many operating systems where
changing the address occurs immediately.  If it does not, you will need to
do nscontrol stop and netxport shut;lan=LAN1  (or whatever you recorded
above.)  I believe there is also a netxport keyword that will simply cause
an update.  Others can (should/will) add to this.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 288-7438
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com