HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
"Simonsen, Larry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simonsen, Larry
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:24:06 -0600
From the np configuration guide I read:
banner_intray   Controls whether or not a PCL Paper Source command is sent
to the printer, allowing banner pages to be taken from a separate paper
tray. No default. Optional.The spooler performs no checks on the value you
enter for banner_intray except to verify that it is an integer. It is your
responsibility to provide a valid positive value. Typical values are 1
(selects the upper tray) or 4 (lower tray). Consult your printer's
documentation for details.If you enter a positive integer, it is inserted
into the PCL Paper Source command, Esc&l#H, replacing the "#", when a banner
(header or trailer) is printed. If you omit this item, no Paper Source
command is sent to the printer during banner printing, and any banner page
is then taken from whichever intray was last used. If you enter a negative
value or 0, the printer behaves as if the item were omitted. This allows an
LDEV-specific entry to cancel a global entry.Once selected, the banner page
intray is not automatically deselected to print data, nor can the spooler
detect the tray that was in use prior to the Paper Source command that
selected the banner tray. If you use the banner_intray item, you should also
specify a value for the next item, data_intray. Alternatively, you can
include a PCL Paper Source command that selects your normal data output tray
in your setup_file or in a user-specificed ENV file.If the printer does not
support multiple source tray selection, it ignores any Paper Source command
sent to it. Therefore, it is safe to include this item in the configuration
file for such a printer, especially if you intend to replace it soon with a
printer with multiple source trays.
data_intray     When used in conjunction with the banner_intray item for a
printer with multiple paper sources, the data_intray item instructs the
printer to take banner pages and data pages from different intrays. No
default. Optional.The spooler performs no checks on the value you enter for
data_intray except to verify that it is an integer. It is your
responsibility to provide a valid positive value. Typical values are 1
(selects the upper tray) or 4 (lower tray). Consult your printer's
documentation for details.If you enter a positive integer, it is inserted
into the PCL Paper Source command, Esc&l#H, replacing the "#", when a data
page is printed. If you omit this item, no Paper Source command is sent to
the printer before printing data, and the paper for data is then taken from
whichever intray was last used. If you enter a negative value or 0, the
printer behaves as if the item were omitted. This allows an LDEV-specific
entry to cancel a global entry.If the printer does not support multiple
source tray selection, it ignores any Paper Source command sent to it.
Therefore, it is safe to include this item in the configuration file for
such a printer, especially if you intend to replace it soon with a printer
with multiple source trays.

It would seem that this is a coded value for your printer.  I would suggest
you consult your printer documentation for the values of the paper source
command.
You may want to control this more from a paper size setting and let the
printer determine the tray which has the correct paper in it.  perhaps the
paper size has a code for prepunched.

default_page_size       If this value is 26, then the A4 page size is
selected for the Banner. Default is set to 2 which is Letter. [PARA]
default_page_size = 1 # for EXEC page size
[PARA]          default_page_size = 2 # for LETTER page size
[PARA]          default_page_size = 3 # for LEGAL page size
[PARA]          default_page_size = 26 # for DIN A4 page size

Larry Simonsen                   Phone: 801-437-3737
Flowserve Corporation            Fax: 801-491-1750
505 E. Technology Ave               http://www.Flowserve.com
Bldg. C, Suite 3100              e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orem, UT 84097
All opinions expressed herein are my own and reflect, in no way, those of my
employer.