HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:10:55 -0700
BTW,

iexplorer does a great job with this scenario - just puts a "this page cannot be displayed" where the advert would be.

-dtd
---------------------- Forwarded by David T Darnell/CO/KAIPERM on 10/18/2001 02:07 PM ---------------------------

        David T Darnell

        10/18/2001 02:00:13 PM

To: [log in to unmask]@internet
cc:
Subject: OT: Dummy out unwanted URLs?

Getting really peeved about all the web content (or is it just Netscape?) that references ads.web.aol.com, I modified my HOSTS file to point ads.web.aol.com to IP address 0.0.0.0.  This works OK most of the time, as the browser seems to give up on that reference and move on. In some cases, though, the browser errors-out waitng for host 0.0.0.0 to reply.

Is there an IP address for a server that will return a null document for any request?

or, is there a better way to just filter out the references to the URLs for hosts I do not want  to see?

Thanks,

 Dave