HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 2

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:43:48 -0400
Mark and I have been discussing this offline and here's the result:

----- Forwarded message from Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]> -----

> Ted Ashton wrote:
> >
> > It seems that Perl should be able to do that same dup2() trick.  After all,
> > calling open() with ">&" is supposed to call dup2.  The problem is that I'm
> > not completely clear about what to duplicate, as it definitely isn't happy
> > with open(STDOUT,">&STDIN") (and I'm not sure that it should be :-).
>
> Oooh, excellent challenge!  ;-)  I hacked around for over a hour and came up
> with the following that will work under inetd and read a line from the socket
> via STDIN and then echo it back to the socket via STDOUT:
>
> #!/PERL/PUB/perl -w
>
> use POSIX;
>
> print STDERR "This is Perl on STDERR!\n";
> select(STDOUT); $| = 1;
> print STDOUT "This is Perl on STDOUT!\n";
>
> POSIX::dup2(0,1);
>
> $data = <STDIN>;
>
> printf STDOUT "data=[%s]\n",$data;
>
> The first two print statements will show up on the JINETD $STDLIST, but the
> printf statement is successfully redirected back to the network socket.
>
> Can you verify that this works on your own machine and then post the results
> back to HP3000-L?  I need to get back to working on sendmail...

----- End forwarded message -----

I can confirm the results.  Thanks, Mark!

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]) | From the Tom Swifty collection:
Southern Adventist University    | "So just what kind of show can this troupe