HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:29:56 EDT
Derrick writes:

> Starting from our hp9000 we want to automate this process:
>  1) execute some supertool code on our hp3000 that creates a file,
>  2) when the supertool is done, move the file from the 3000 to the 9000,
>  3) then execute an update process on our 9000.

In this task, FTP is your friend. From your 9000, establish an FTP channel to
your 3000 and run a site stream command, a command that might look something
like this:

     >site stream mystjob.mygroup.myacct

Let the job, MYSTJOB, a part of the process, also open an FTP channel back
into your 9000 and transfer the resultant file back there, once it's been
processed on the 3000.

Now all you need is a trigger to let the 9000 know that the file is back on
the 9000 and ready to be processed. My favorite technique to accomplish this
is merely the presence of the newly transferred file itself. The 3000 could
have FTP'ed the file into a "watch" folder. A job running on the 9000 would
look for its appearance and then move it to its final resting place, purging
it from the watch folder.

At that point the 9000 can do with the file what it will.

Wirt Atmar