HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Peter da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 08:46:23 -0600
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Denys Beauchemin  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For the second time this week, I have to correct something I said in this
> thread.  Earlier, I stated that I thought the Pocket PC's market share was
> 25%, where Duane used the figure of 30%.  I was under the impression that
> Palm had about 65-70% market share, down from virtually 100% a year or so
> ago.

Palm's market share a year ago was between 80 and 90%. That's high, but
it's not "virtually 100%", and that's including Handspring.

> Well last night, I watched Fox News, Neil Cavuto was interviewing
> Steve Balmer of Microsoft who had just finished doing the introduction of
> Pocket PC 2002.  Fox runs captions with complementary information during
> their interviews.  One caption came up saying Dataquest was pegging the
> market share of Pocket PC at 41% and PalmOS at 43%.  What a shock.  It
> further stated that Compaq was generating more revenue than Palm in the PDA
> space.

That should be obvious, with the iPaq at ~$600 three times the price of
your ~$200 Palm. Compaq has the lion's share of the PPC market, comparable
to Palm's in the PalmOS market. If Compaq has only recently passed Palm
in revenue, then that supports my assertion that these are dollar sales
figures, not unit sales figures... if those are unit sales, then Compaq
should be well ahead.

EPOC in the handheld market is basically dead. The only manufacturer has
stated that they are not developing any new products. You might also want
to look into the Linux-based Agenda VR3.

[And, please, don't cc me in response to messages I post to this newsgroup.
 I'm not going to type the same message in twice just because you sent it
 to me privately as well as posting it.]

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."