HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:51:28 -0700
Pete asks as a follow up:

>They all fail the same way complaining that "which is probably
>not what you want" and such.

Note that are warnings. The real failure is the PF_UNIX. Fix
that and the warnings can probably be ignored.

>/usr/include/bsd/sys/wait.h:31: warning: `struct rusage' declared inside
>parameter list
>/usr/include/bsd/sys/wait.h:31: warning: its scope is only this definition or
>declaration, which is probably not what you want.

This warning happens as a result of sloppy coding. Typically you might
see something a la:

extern int foo (struct bar *);

struct bar {};

In other words, the struct bar is declared later. However, the declaration
for foo usually works because what we're really interested in is the pointer
to the structure, and pointers are usually a primitive known to the compiler
so in most cases, you get the correct code. However, what happens on platforms
like HPPA where you have two pointer types? Which does the compiler "guess"?

Regardless, that is sloppy coding that I don't recommend. You can ignore the
warnings on MPE, though, and you will get the correct behavior.