HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:53:34 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> A "gotcha" with this approach, on slower NT systems, is that NT
> needs some time to finish writing its buffers to disk after ftp finishes.
> have no idea if this is an issue on a 9000. For this, we inserted a :PAUSE
> between the send and the rename.

Is this really a problem with NT?  If so, what are the symptons?  Does the
rename fail or does it work, but the file not have all the records?  With
Unix, it doesn't matter if the buffers are on disk or not (unless the system
crashes).  The file system treats the records in the buffer as part of the
file anyway.  The records are all there, logically, as soon as FTP closes
the file.

I'd be surprised if this was really a problem with NT, except perhaps very
early versions of NT.