HP3000-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 20:56:56 -0700
I can see that both have a purpose... after using both I have to agree with
Denys on this one, trust me that's rare. Take a look at what it takes to
write applications on both of these platforms, WinCE is miles ahead of palm.
I've been working with an ipaq for a while now and have been able to do some
really cool stuff. I may end up moving the code over to a "ruggedized"
device, but the code doesn't have to change. The only hang up I've got right
now is with some activex components that aren't living up to there claims,
and I'm going to have to recode the internet (ftp/telnet/ntp) portion of the
app with built in low level routines. Once that's done our service techs
will be able to transfer data with our 3000, and perform updates to our home
grown systems. The program is already printing documents wirelessly to an hp
deskwriter 990cse (it actually could be any number of printers), doing
signature capture, a fair amount of local database work.

If you want to see what syncing with a desktop box should be like, try it
over Ethernet or and 802.11b connection. Trust me it's way way quicker then
a palm based device.

The devices have a lot of room for improvement, but they are much better
then the palm IMHO. In the just released version of the pocketpc they have
even added palm like entry of data. There is also a palm emulator that is in
the works or has been released, that runs on the pocketpc.

Give one a try.... you might like it!

-Lane

ps. yes, the battery life sucks compared to the palm.