SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2001

From:
Steven Catron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:19:19 -0500
Hi Kenneth,
        Man, you're so lucky to live close enough to Monterey to dive there
any old weekend!  I've come to adore California diving - the Channel Islands
at first, then the Central Coast when I began diving dry - but getting out
there is a major production for me, living near the East Coast as I do.
        I was out in the Monterey area back in August, where I ran into
fellow list-member John Hauer onboard the Monterey Express.  You might have
seen his trip report here and a few comments of mine on the subject.
        After that, I met up with Marc, a photographer acquaintance whom I'd
met on a previous CA trip, and we headed down to Point Lobos along with
another diver who brought along his RIB.  Lobos is such an incredibly scenic
place; I can't believe I had missed it on previous trips.  Anyone not
familiar with the park can check out http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/ to
see what I'm talking about.
        We took the RIB to the Outer Pinnacles for a couple of dives, spread
over half the day.  I was astounded at the profusion of invertebrate life on
the first two pinnacles - easily the largest cowries and nudibranchs I've
ever seen, and in incredible numbers.
        The vis was excellent for the area on the first dive - roughly 40' -
but by the time we'd had lunch back at Whaler's Cove and returned for the
second, it had turned into pea soup.  I even managed to lose my buddy on the
downline (long story).  :-)
        The second dive wasn't a total loss, though.  I scoured the pinnacle
for fitting subjects for Marc's camera, but didn't find anything worthwhile
until I spotted a rockfish wedged into a crack and refusing to move.  No big
deal, but something caught my eye as I started away.  On second glance, the
fish seemed to have an octopus's arm stuck in its mouth (that's what I
assumed since it hadn't swallowed it after 30 seconds of observation).
        I signaled Marc and zeroed him in with my light.  He looked at the
rockfish for a few seconds, trying to figure out what the big deal was,
then - just as I began to feel like an idiot for wasting his time - began
clicking away.  After the dive, Marc told me he shot the rest of his film
there over the next five minutes, and that the fish had the _entire_ octopus
in its mouth.  It couldn't manage to swallow the whole thing, but it wasn't
letting it go, either.  :-)  That's kinda gruesome, isn't it?
        Marc says he's heard of rockfish eating octopus, but he's never seen
it before.  If it's as rare as he says, I'm glad I had the chance to see it,
and help Marc capture it on film.

        I've added a few comments below.