SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2001

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:56:58 -0500
On 2 Oct 2001, at 21:49, Kenneth Smith wrote:

> While there are fish in the area, rockcod, ling, and others, these are
> not colorful, and not near the sea mounts... what you may see in an area
> not so far from here is the ugliest creature alive above or
> underwater--- the Wolf eel... with a face that would sink not only the
> Titanic, but the Enterprise as well... to encounter this Gray face,
> which is like 5-7 " high when looking into the cracks is a pure scare at
> first, but an excitement that stays etched in the memory...

While not nearly as ugly, in many of the cave systems in Florida
you can find large numbers of freshwater eel's. What can make
them very interesting is the way they will bury themselves in the silt
and decided just as you begin to pass over them to pop their heads
up and take a look at you. I assume that they "feel" us coming by
pressure waves. Some of them can be as large as 6' feet or so and
it's definitely a bit of a pucker factor, especially if you have not seen
any for a thousand feet or so of cave and then have one pop up.

Also interesting in some of the cave systems to watch them take
advantage of our light sources and feed on the schools of the
minnows as we pass through....

Mike Wallace
Huntsville, Alabama