SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2001

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:17:00 -0500
On 14 Oct 2001, at 22:01, Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:

> An excellent idea - if only the money would be spent on the maintenance of
> the reefs. Naturally, however, like Cozumel, the money will find its way
> straight into the pockets of officials, with the bulk no doubt going to Mr.
> Suraswadi himself.

Unfortunately that is the case in many areas but even if a few cents
of it makes it way to helping, in some small way, to keep the reefs
for a bit longer then I would not have a problem, as a guest of your
country, paying it.

> This is the same bleding-heart environmentalist bastard who allowed 20th
> Century Fox to film The Beach in Maya Bay, where they destroyed beyond
> repair one of the most beautiful natural parks in South East Asia. It seems
> Leonardo wanted palm trees, which unfortunately don't grow in Maya Bay, so
> they brought in bulldozers, stripped hundreds of years worth of topsoil,
> planted coconut trees on the beach, then wrecked it again when they removed
> the trees and brought in foreign soil on barges to "replace" what they
> destroyed.

This is simply freakin' disgusting, but then money has a way of
being disgusting.

> Mr. Suraswadi, at the time, authorized this, in direct contravention of Thai
> law on natural parks. 20th Century Fox of course paid for the usage of the
> park, but there seems to be some disagreement between what the studio says
> they paid, and what the Forestry Department deposited. And even if they had
> paid a trillion Dollars, it would STILL have been illegal to use the park
> for anything at all other than admiring it. Corrupt usurpers like Mr.
> Suraswadi wreak more havoc on the environment than a thousand scuba divers.

I believe that this will always be the case. As a general rule I like to
think that most divers care enough about the environment that we
visit to try and not damage it while we are there. I, like most of us on
this list have seen those that don't have the skills necessary to be
diving on such a fragile environment like a reef, but even with those
divers counted I still believe that we do much less damage than the
general population does. The general population does not care in
the least what is going on where they can not personally see it.

> So forgive me if I am a bit cynical. With "friends" like the Thai Forestry
> Department, the environment doesn't need any enemies. And with collectors
> like him, the environment will never see a penny.

Don't see where you need to be forgiven. Wish lots more of us
would be pissed at such things. :-)

> Bjorn

Mike Wallace
Huntsville, Alabama