SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2001

From:
John Hauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:55:20 -0700
I have learned some from this thread. MMM Good.

From Strike>
>John!  Diving is still an evolving activity.  Like you, I refuse to close
>my
> mind to the fact that there will, indeed, be new innovations in equipment
> and techniques that will make it more enjoyable.  But because diving, by
>its
> very nature, also has to be a conservative activity, .....
> Strike

I agree and practice both these points. I'm not one to buy or use the
latest/greatest invention. But I do like to read about the new releases in
the rags - and then see how they last.

>From Bjorn>
>From:         Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
> I have certainly been taught, practiced, and passed on, that any buoyancy
> should preferably come from the victim rather than the rescuer, for the
> reasons Strike states. Using your own buoyancy to raise a victim might
>just
> as well create a runaway ascent, on your part, should you lose contact
>with
> the victim. If anyone is going to have a runaway ascent, surely it
>should be
> the one whose survival depends on a speedy return to the surface!

Yes again. I may have given the impression that  someone might just "lean
on the ol' inflator button" and let her rip. I never intended this. As I
consider it more, in class, when neutrally buoyant, I could kick my
"victim" to the surface without changing either my or their weight or air
quantity in BC. It wasn't very difficult in training. When the rescue was
for real, was it any different?

>From Lee>
>From:         Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
> Interesting addition.  While both Strike and I agreed that it should be
>the
> victim's buoyancy that is used to raise them whenever possible, I must
>admit
> that I did not consider a runaway ascent by a rescuer who lost contact
>with
> the victim.  Even though I consider this a problem that, if it happened,
> could be resolved quickly, it does not take long to do damage when
> conditions are right, or perhaps more appropriately, when conditions are
> wrong.

I would have to agree again. So, my point of my own ability to get
positively buoyant may be somewhat useless. It's main use so far has been
to be able to collect goodies - like other people's lost weight- and still
be somewhat neutrally buoyant as I finish my dive.

The conditions point is also valid. We practice in nice water, but the
rescue would most likely happen in ugly water.

This, of course, does not add to the issue of the utility and desirability
of integrated weight systems - the original point. I guess my point would
be reduced to "I like my integrated weight BC, and I have no worries when
my buddy has them because I am used to using my own." Although, I would
admit that it is a bit *easier* to drop a weight belt.

John