SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:11:37 -0400
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:51:58 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote in reply to Bjorn Vang Jensen:

>I'm almost positive that I've told this one before, but in case I
>haven't it begins in Hong Kong - a name that apparently translates
>into, 'Perfumed Harbour'!  :-)

That name rings a bell!  There was at first a strong PROBABLITY, then
it gradually diminished into a "definate maybe" that I may meet Bjorn
in Hong Kong this week, but he fell silent as time Zero approaches!

BTW, it's "Fragrant Harbour" -- and my recollection (of the English
language) is that not all "fragrant" things are "perfumed".  :-)

>In the days before land reclamation, when every second bar in Wanchai
>claimed a connection with Suzie Wong and a visit to Pinky's tattoo parlour
>was high on the list of, "I-must-not-go-there-regardless-of
>how-much-beer-I-drink", places to avoid, (Hah!), Hong Kong was a great
>destination for R&R.

Yes, I am eagerly waiting Bjorn to show me a place or three!  :-)

>Everyone that I moved towards backed quickly away, some grimacing and
others
>laughing and pointing.  Finally a hose was turned on me.  It appears that,
>on surfacing, the clamp had neatly speared a large turd.  :-)
>
>"Perfumed Harbour"?  Hah! :-)

See what I mean by "Fragrant Harbour"?  :-)

>As the Chief said, "In the shit again, eh, lad?"  :-)
>
>Strike

Ob scuba!!  After your tale of "Pulling the Plug" in which you wrote,

> But the lesson that caused me the most chuckles were the remembered
> words of an old Chief:  "In your case, lad, you've nothing to worry
> about under the water.  Always remember, 'Shit floats!'"  :-)

This piece of wisdom requires EMPIRICAL verification!  According to
Dr. Feeesh, who diligently made scientific observations after your
old Chief's proclamation, and the results clearly indicated that not
ALL shit floats -- some sink like a rock!  :-)

-- Bob.