HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 5

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:16:06 -0600
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Brown
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>The way I was taught (by my math and English teachers alike), it would
>be "three thousand four hundred fifty-six and fifty-six one-hundredths"
>or "three thousand four hundred fifty-six point fifty-six."

Hello y'all (contraction of you all, hence the apostrophisation, and its
placement).

I say three thousand four hundred and fifty six point five six.

I  wouldn't say 'point fifty six' because if I was then asked to work to
a further place of accuracy, and it was .003 say, I'd have to say 'point
five hundred and sixty three'. And so on.

Which really doesn't reflect the reality of the size of the .5 remaining
unchanged.

And I ain't agonna borry any money off of Russ Smith's CU in no hurry
without seein' them interest rates writ down real purty on a piece o'
paper first....  :-)
--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris