HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

From:
"Gribbin, Francis J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gribbin, Francis J.
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:28:36 -0400
Hi Pascal,

Thank you for your comments on my article.  In the example, /tmp/cgi42msg is
a standard bytestream  file.  I call it a pseudo message file because it
performs many of the same functions as an MPE message file.  You are correct
in pointing out that the file grows over time.  This doesn't create a
problem for me because each record is small and I shut everything down when
backing up the system.

The Posix shell script opens, appends to, and closes cgi42msg for each
transaction, creating the file if necessary.  So, the listening program can
monitor the size of the file and do a rename and build when needed.  If a
shell script creates the file first, the listening program's build will fail
and this can be ignored.

Frank J. Gribbin
Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP
1313 N. Market Street, 6th Floor
Wilmington, DE  19803

Phone: (302) 984-6155
Telecopier: (302) 658-1192
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or proprietary
information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying, or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.