HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:42:28 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
> And start again from zero every time I bring up a new machine or replace
the OS? Copying 'hosts' from one machine to another takes a few seconds.

Well, these settings appear to live in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. So export, copy the file, then import. But
apparently, I can still connect to these sites, see their ads, etc.,
although I can prevent most anything else from those domains from running.

I guess I should look at putting these in the Content Advisor, as
disapproved / "view never" sites, in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Rating
s\PICSRules. That seems even more involved, and does require setting and
therefore remembering yet another password. OTOH, I would not want to find
that I am even periodically being prompted for a password, because a page
contains an ad from a disallowed site. I am not that familiar with the
Platform for Internet Content Selection (PICS) rules, or how feasible it
might be to list these ads servers as disallowed sites.

> Or, if the setup supports it (here's your "Microsoftesque" solution),
after
> initial configuration DFS replication takes zero seconds.
I can see where a business might want to do something like this. What did
you have in mind?

>> There is a rather long list of these, apparently updated just
>> before each
>> leap year, at http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml,

> Thanks for the pointer. A pretty impressive list; I wonder if they ever
take anything out?
I'm not sure what taking anything out would get me, except a shorter list,
and presumably faster response. I have to assume that the list does grow
some, but that's a pretty strange part of the market. I suppose one could
crib from adsubtract, which likewise lists its blocked sites in the
registry, among other places.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com