HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:40:07 +0200
Robert M wrote:
>Sometimes Samba (SMBD207.SAMBA.SYS) is grabbing hold of a file and won't let
>it go until we restart INETD. Anybody know if this is caused by a Samba, MPE
>or INETD problem? It only seems to happen to files that are only being read
>via Samba. We've not had problems with files written via Samba (touch wood).

I'm not a Windows expert (and don't even play one on TV), but I seem to
recall that some of the Samba docs or books (you have the O'Reilly book
on your 3000 as part of the Samba 2.0.7 installation ;-)  mentioned that
Windows sometimes performs agressive caching of files (see oplocks entry
in smb.conf documentation), maybe it also involves keeping files open
longer than "expected". SMBD on the 3000 would then just act on behalf
of the client, not be "guilty" by itself.

Instead of killing INETD, it might be sufficient to use the smbstatus
utility to find out the SMBD server process having the file open on
behalf of a client (it should even show the PC name or IP address in
the list of mapped shares) and then use the shell's kill command to
stop just that specific server child.

Lars.