HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:31:18 -0400
Boy, I just cannot seem to get this thing to work!

The Apache listener job now runs without aborting (yea!).  However, it still
does not "work"; that is, I cannot get any response via a browser.  I've set
this up on a test/development machine here and I used the IP address as the
ServerName (because this machine is not on the internet, it's only on our
LAN and we do not have a DNS running here).  I can ping the IP address just
fine, but running a browser and using http://10.251.46.91 (the IP address)
results in a "page cannot be displayed" error in MS IE.

Following the troubleshooting page

(https://jazz.external.hp.com/src/apache/troubleshoot.txt)

(thanks for the tip about the https, Mark)

I tried to use telnet, which resulted in the following when run from the
same computer as Apache is running on:

JIM,MGR.APACHEFW,PUB  2:29 PM> xeq telnet.arpa.sys
Telnet Client [A6000000]     (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 1994
telnet> toggle crlf
Will send carriage returns as telnet <CR><LF>.
telnet> open 10.251.46.91 80
Trying...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
telnet> open 10.251.46.91
Trying...
Connected to 10.251.46.91.
Escape character is '^]'.
Failed to turn on single echo: 68.
Failed to turn on single echo: 68.
Failed to turn on single echo: 68.
T-O-L.COM:

Note that in this last instance, the second open resulted in me being
unceremoniously dumped from the HP3000! (The T-O-L.COM is the logon prompt).

Any ideas?

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231