HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

From:
Tom Hula <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:48:41 -0400
What has surfaced is that American phenomenon known as civil religion.
It doesn't belong to a particular church or denomination, nor does it
espouse any. It seems to be a basic part of us, to acknowledge a Supreme
Other in times of need, or at least to tolerate as others acknowledge
their need. Some have referred to it as ecumenical, but that isn't quite
right. Ecumenical outreaches tend to celebrate and acknowledge our
differences
in belief while also celebrating those things we have in common (when we
do).
The civil religion seems to, for a time, set aside all differences so that
we can come together as if we have no differences. And somehow, it is all
bound up in patriotism as well.  Just some thoughts.
        Tom Hula
        Victor S. Barnes Company
        (616)361-7351  x173