HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:44:41 -0700
As distasteful as the kind of response Mark describes may be, I believe it
is necessary.  I suspect many of the people involved in inflicting or
sponsoring terrorism reacted (privately) to the attack on the U.S. with
thoughts such as "Oh shit - this time they have gone too far, and the
retribution will be terrible!"  If that response fails to materialize, those
people will be emboldened.  They will see that a horrifying attack on the
U.S. is both possible and inexpensive in terms of consequences, and they are
going to want a piece of the action.  It will be like the rash of
kidnappings in Beirut back in the 80s: one group started it for a specific
purpose, then many more jumped on the bandwagon.  Sadly, we have been thrust
into a position of having to make war or face a huge escalation in anti-U.S.
violence if we don't.  We didn't ask for this choice, but here it is...